An unbeatable combination, right? Two of the world’s most delicious foods. Ever. EVER!
After running my first 5k/obstacle course (AWESOME), my roommate and I decided to make some homemade pizza with random toppings as well as try our hand at making cake balls (as seen on http://www.bakerella.com).
First, we did the dough thing – following a basic pizza dough recipe we found online. While the pizza dough was rising, I readied the cake batter and began baking it in the oven, and my roommate began making from scratch a tasty tomato sauce for the pizza. The only thing more satisfying than eating everything (all of it) after it was done, was how perfectly everything was timed so that there was minimal waiting for things to cook or dry or rise!
Anyway, after the sauce was done, the dough was ready to be rolled out and topped! We went a little crazy with the toppings and just put everything on it that we could think of (=mushrooms, tomatoes, sriracha, lettuce, carrots, cheese, onions, polish sausage)! However, it came out beautifully 🙂 🙂 🙂
I also couldn’t resist waffling some of the leftover dough 😀
By this point, the cake was cooled and ready to be crumbled and mixed with icing. With chocolate slowly melting into gooey deliciousness on the stove, Jen and I delicately formed the cake balls! We had some trouble dipping the cake balls in the actual chocolate, so we ended up just taking little globs of chocolate and putting them on top of the cake balls, then adding some Christmas sprinkles (never too early/late!).
Finally, everything was complete. Feasting commenced.
1 package of active yeast
3/4 c Warm Water
1 tsp of white sugar
2 C Flour
1 tsp salt
1 1/2 tbsp Olive Oil
1) Activate yeast by mixing yeast, water, and sugar- should take about 5 minutes
2) Mix flour, salt, olive oil. Add yeast/water mixture and form into smooth dough.
3) Allow to rise until doubled in size
4) Add toppings and bake @ 375 for 20 min!
3 Roma Tomatoes
1 Large Yellow Onion
Desired herbs and spices (we liked adding some basil and sriracha)
1) Dice onions and tomatoes and cook in pan on med-high for 5 minutes (or until tomatoes start to break down)
2) Add desired herbs and spices and continue cooking covered on med for 8-10 minutes
1 Package of Cake Mix (or a Cake)
Desired decorations (icing, sprinkles, etc.)
1) Prepare cake as directed and crumble into bowl
2) Mix spoonfuls of frosting into crumbled cake until mixture is formable and thick. Roll into 1 in.-dia balls.
3) Melt chocolate as directed.
4*) So you’re SUPPOSED to dip the balls into the chocolate and coat evenly, but we weren’t skilled enough, so we just put the chocolate on top 🙂
- The Perfect Cake Balls/Pops (megandeaver.wordpress.com)
- How To Make Pizza At Home (bestpizzadeliverymokena.wordpress.com)
- cake ball tasting. (juleenskitchen.com)